How’s your Tuesday treating you? I find that Tuesday’s aren’t as dreadful as Monday’s, I guess because we’re already going through the motion (and by that I mean, the work week), but I still count down the days until the weekend!
Today’s post features the weekend outfit which I wore to the Ancaster Ribfest– mmm, love me some good pork and beef ribs! What about you? Have you ever been to ribfest? What’s your favourite food at the festival? I love the corn on the cob and blooming onions! 🥰
Alexei and I decided to try the Kentucky Smokehouse vendor and boy was the sauce darn good! (That’s about as country as I can speak! haha).
Let’s get into the outfit, shall we? I’m wearing this super comfortable high rise paperbag shorts with adjustable drawstrings (xs), and the style is so flattering for any body type! This item gives for a relaxed fit with a wide leg and is 90% Rayon material. The best feature about these shorts- they come with functional pockets on each side which add for such an easy casual look!
I’ve also linked a very similar item called the Riley Belted Short– it’s also a paperbag style and includes a removable belt and pockets (see, super similar!) so you can check out this item as well!
Both items can be styled with a crop top or even tucked into the shorts for a more fitted, yet relaxed feel. I find that usually with these wide leg or loose fitting pants, a fitted top pairs best otherwise it can look as though you’re drowning in your outfit! :p
I hope you enjoy this post and as always, feel free to leave a comment below! I’m curious to know what unique food festivals there are in your area and which is your favourite! 🙂
Happy Monday friends! It’s the beginning of a new week and I’m ready to tackle it full on! I hope you had a fun-filled weekend and are enjoying the summer season to the max!
Today, I’m sharing with you this beautiful palm print jumpsuit which I wore to Alexei’s sister’s wedding- it’s absolutely gorgeous and so darn comfortable! This piece caught my eye when I was browsing through the clothing rack at one of my favourite stores in Toronto called Honey Boutique and I just knew I had to buy it!
This blush floral suit is ideal for the Spring and Summer season, with its multi coloured palm print- it just screams ‘Vacation Mode!’. Both the exterior and lining are 100% polyester and is super lightweight! The wedding day was extremely hot and humid (seriously, Canada Weather issue a heat warning!) yet I felt so cool and breezy because of the wide leg, it’s one of my favourite elements of this jumpsuit! Culottes are really the best aren’t they?!
While I was unable to link the exact item in this post (the website didn’t feature this piece but it’s brand new so I’m confused as to why it’s not on the site), I did find similar styles in various colours which are just as beautiful!
– Shop here for more jumpsuits from Honey Boutique
I hope you had a wonderful Canada Day weekend! I’m still recovering from the fun-filled events, as Alexei and I were city hopping all weekend- we visited 8 cities in 3 days! What did you do to celebrate?
In today’s post, I’m sharing our adventures across multiple cities within Ontario to truly embrace the Canada Day experience!
Oakville: On Saturday, we decided to visit the beautiful city of Oakville’s Bronte Harbour, where the marina is lined with boats, yachts, seagulls and swans! There were several residents strolling around the harbour, with bright, colourful and uniquely painted chairs for relaxation. If you’re looking to grab a quick bite to eat, there are several restaurants on Bronte Street in walking distance of the harbour. Depending on your appetite, restaurant choices include Harbourside Artisan Kitchen, Cove Bar & Restaurant, Plank Restobar and my personal favourite- La Parisienne Crêperie. I’ve also linked a visitors’ guide on what to do in the Oakville area.
2. Burlington: We headed to Walmart Burlington North Supercentre, where I went to take my photos for my Citizenship application (I’m a Permanent Resident of Canada, and am so excited to finally submit my application!)
3. Mississauga: We then decided to head to Square One Shopping Centre to do some light (emphasis on the word ‘light’ :p) shopping. We picked up a few items and ran some errands. I bought this Tall Striped Essential Shirt at the Ann Taylor store and was so pleased with this purchase- stay tuned for the photo when I share it on Instagram (@livinglissy)! Also, Alexei and I discovered this new store called BonLook which is based in Quebec but has subsidiaries throughout Ontario. He bought this super smart looking pair of eyeglasses called Black Tort and not only are the eyeglasses stylish, but they are much more affordable than the competition- will keep you updated on the feedback when he receives the pair of glasses.Afterwards, we headed for dinner at this lovely buffet restaurant called Tandoori Flame. This is North America’s largest Indian Buffet Restaurant and rightfully deemed so, as the restaurant space is so large that it allows for an array of live stations, with over 3 stations of food. There’s a salad bar, two wrap around food station bars, along with the food stations lined by the kitchen, and a dessert bar. The food itself was so delicious, that I had no trouble helping myself to seconds and even thirds! The atmosphere is warm and lively with the music playing in the background and the crowd conversations filling the air. There is a large presence of South Asian population, which is a wonderful cultural experience (I am West Indian from the Caribbean, so have not been exposed to much East Indian culture while growing up). The dishes were so tasty and each dish had a distinct flavor, bringing such an explosion of flavors! What a perfect meal to end the evening!
4. Fort Erie: On Sunday afternoon, Alexei and I, along with his father and grandfather, visited to the Fort Erie Race Track to place our bets! I’ve never been to a racetrack in Canada, and my first experience left me with the desire to visit again! While people go for the betting, I was more interested in the farmer’s market located just outside of the building, with fresh fruits and vegetables, cured meats and handmade and unique crafts!
5. Port Colborne: After the race track, we all headed to his father’s house in the Port Colborne area, to relax on the deck and enjoy the rest of the warm, sunny day! Of course, no patio is complete without pizza and beer/cider, so we stopped at the Colborne Pizza Hut and the local LCBO.
6. Waterdown: Upon leaving his dad’s house, we made an impromptu decision to visit the Waterdown’s Ribfest (we arrived at 10:30pm, and it closed at 11:00pm, but hey, who needs more than 30 minutes to devour mouth-watering ribs!) and what a great idea that was! There were 6 different rib vendors and several other vendors selling Corn On The Cob, Blooming Onions, Funnel Cakes, Lemonade and of course, BEER! The sights, smells and sounds of the amusement rides, BBQ meat and live music, really evoke a feeling of what Canadian summer is all about! In my opinion, this was the perfect event for a Canada Day weekend. We bought cornbread and ribs at the ‘Hawgs Gone Wild BBQ‘ vendor, and oh my goodness- it was hands down the absolute best ribs we’ve had all year (we’ve been to Ribfest three times this year, and summer’s only just begun!). The meat itself was juicy, and well cooked, and the sticky, smoky sauce really complemented the sweet corn bread! We actually visited the Ribfest again on Monday, for the same vendor’s ribs (yes, we really loved it!) when the announcement was made that the ‘Hawgs Gone Wild BBQ‘ vendor had just won the ‘2019 Judges Choice’! I couldn’t help thinking, ‘Wow! Our palette is as refined as the judges own, because we trusted our taste buds and knew that those were the best ribs and now it’s actually official!’ This Ribfest was the perfect meal to complete the Sunday!
7. Hamilton: On Monday morning, Alexei and I woke up revitalized from the weekend and ready to enjoy our Canada Day starting with a hike through Dundas Valley Conservation Area! We really look forward to summer time in Canada for outdoor adventures, especially hiking to Hamilton’s Waterfalls! We hiked for approximately 2 ½ km on the Monarch Trail, which really is a hidden gem as the majority of people ventured to the waterfalls. The hiking trail was so peaceful, that we were truly felt at one with nature and were grateful for the opportunity to experience the sights and sounds of the birds and wildlife.
We continued exploring the city by visiting the Bayfront Park, for the Canada Day Celebration held by both RBC and the City of Hamilton, filled with food trucks, family fun and live performances. Alexei and I enjoyed the sunny afternoon with our picnic blanket and relaxed by the lake. As the fireworks display took place later on in the nighttime, we decided to pack up and head home to watch the fireworks from the comfort of our balcony.
8. Toronto: As we approached the ending of our day’s festivities, Alexei and I returned to the city of Toronto to enjoy the Ashbridges Bay Fireworks Display, which was so marvelous! Watching the brilliantly colored light bursting in the sky, brought upon a bittersweet feeling of the ending of the long weekend. While a part of me was upset that the long weekend was over, I reflected on the weekend’s events, and a wave of nostalgic bliss overcame me as the fireworks marked the observance and symbolism of Canada’s Independence.
I really hope you enjoyed this post, and that you can get some ideas of what to do during the Canada Day weekend or even during the summer! Canada’s summer is so exciting and adventure-filled with many free events, hiking activities, camping, movie nights at the drive in theatre and of course, food festivals!
If you like this post, do comment below and share your experiences- I’m always looking for adventures within and around the city!
Enjoy your 4 day work-week and we’ll chat very soon friend! xoxo
Last night I went to the highly anticipated Lion King Musical and it was absolutely FANTASTIC! I am completely amazed and beyond impressed with the costumes, talented performers, special effects and overall production of the show! If you have the opportunity to see this play, I strongly recommend it- and while the cost may seem pricey (I paid CAD $200 per ticket), the first 5 minutes alone were well worth it! The organizers create an immersive experience as performers made their way through the crowd which really increased the audiences’ engagement. I truly admire the performers’ talent, skills and abilities, with the singing, dancing and acting all at the highest quality of theatre. I am already searching for dates for my second show! 🙂
My outfit choice was based on the nude tones of African inspiration. While I did consider wearing my leopard romper, I tend to get cold so easily that I thought to layer up with this beautiful nude mid sleeve top which is usually my staple piece during the fall season, but I usually wear it if going to the movies or theatre (anywhere with AC really!). The top which I’m wearing is no longer in stock, so I’m linking two similar items: Jaymes Top-Nude and this Blush Rib V-neck t-shirt.
I decided to pair this top with a pair of ripped black jeans to give for a casual look and feel, so I wore my favorite pair from Bluenotes (have you shopped at this store?) called the High Rise Emma Jegging. In the past few years have I become an avid mid to low rise pant wearing girl, but since I discovered the feel of my tummy being covered and no love handles with high rise pants, I’m hooked on this style! :p
For the footwear, I kept it simple with my go-to pair of black gum sole Vans, which are so comfortable and give me the best fit for walking around the city!
Of course, I finished the look with my favorite Kate Spade jewelry- this initial pendant gold necklace. The look was casual yet fitting for this play, and I saw several people wearing animal print or African inspired clothing for the event! Truly a spectacular evening!
Have you seen the Lion King musical? What did you think of it? Comment below- I’d love to know your opinion! Bye for now xoxo
Happy Friday loves! I am beyond elated for the Toronto Raptors first NBA Championship win! 🏆 The city is buzzing and the people are jubilant! The atmosphere is electrifying and I truly couldn’t be more proud for our team- they deserve this win! Today’s post is inspired by the Raptors colours and I had so much fun with this look!
The Hollister low rise shorts have so much stretch and the fit is super comfortable! I’ve added a similar pair of Hollister shorts as my own are no longer in stock- it’s only CAD$23.00, so get it while it lasts! This Garage red tank is the perfect basic tank- it’s casual with a comfort element yet stylish all at once! It’s only CAD$16.95 and definitely worth the buy! ♥️ I’ve decided to pair this kit with these trendy Treanna white flats which are only CAD$49.99! The white pair is no longer in stock but I’ve linked the item which is also available in both nude and black colours. I decided to accessorize this look with this beautiful handwoven round bag! It’ complements these colours perfectly and is in for the 2019 season! It’s 42% off now so get this steal of a deal while you can! Finally, I completed this overall look with my favourite Pandora Rose jewelry- this rose gold bracelet fits perfectly, but be mindful to buy a slightly larger size as the charms takes up space which tightens the band. I especially love the locket feature for this popular band- almost bears a symbol of love with the locket element. And lastly, if you’re representing Pandora Rose, it’s best to sport the collection- the Pandora Rose stud earrings are my most worn pair of earrings as it’s so versatile, it can be worn as a casual outfit with hair down, or really shines through with an updo hairstyle! And the final piece to compete the collection- the Pandora Rose ring is so timeless as it features the signature Pandora logo on the beautiful rose coloured metal! That’s it for now folks- I hope you enjoyed this post as much as I did creating this Raptors inspired outfit! Take care and have a wonderful, enjoyable and safe weekend! xoxo ~ Lissy
One of my favorite sights to see are the Spring flowers blooming beautifully! 🌷🌺🌷🌼
Today I’m sharing some Monday motivation to help you achieve maximum productivity. Monday’s can be a drag for us all, but it helps to have a set goal for the week and aim to reach one step closer with passing each day. Goals give us a sense of purpose and satisfying these goals give us a sense of achievement and can increase our self actualization needs. I use each Sunday evening to reflect on the past week and determine what I can do better for the upcoming week. But the ‘What’ is not as much important as the ‘How’. How will I achieve this week’s goals, how will I measure the success of my goal and how will it add value to my life. Here are three important tips to set goals and stayed focused on goal attainment:
Tip #1: Define the ‘What’
Set aside some time on your Sunday evening to focus on what you’d like to accomplish this week and set attainable, realistic targets each day. Needless to say that a daily planner or agenda is essential for efficient and effective planning. You can purchase any agenda or planner from several stores (online or physical) such as Amazon, Indigo, Stationary stores, etc. These targets or objectives should be clearly defined with a purpose and method for execution within the specified time line (e.g. On Monday, I will schedule all appointments for the week with phone calls/emails and ensure follow up calls on Tuesday to confirm my appointments).
Tip #2: Define the ‘How’
Setting a goal is easy, but the follow through is what requires a significant amount of effort. The ‘How’ is where you execute the defined objective, while keeping your timeline in mind. It is the action undertaken to ensure that your goal is realized and adds the anticipated or expected outcome or impact as desired (e.g. On Tuesday, I will gather all necessary documents required for my appointment and review the checklist (if any) to ensure all criteria is met before my appointment on Wednesday) or (On Friday, I will review my agenda to ensure all appointments were met and if not, have been rescheduled or follow-up appointments made and confirmed).
Tip #3: Determine the impact of your goal and next steps
Here, you can determine whether the outcome of your goal has added value to your life, or whether it can be improved upon. This is the stage where you compare your desired target and realized outcome and analyze the impact of your goal- has it met your expected outcome? If not, then what could you have done differently to ensure maximum effectiveness of your goal. This is also called the ‘Lessons Learned’ stage and should always be conducted after each objective or goal is realized (e.g. On Saturday, I will do a review to determine which goals did not meet my expectation- did I need to physically attend this appointment, or could it have been done electronically or by phone? Was I prepared enough for the appointment or did I miss a crucial step before the appointment i.e. fasting before a medical appointment? Were all documents gathered beforehand? Is a follow up appointment required?). Once you assess the value added, benefit realized or impact of your objective, you can then implement any corrective actions, solutions or follow up actions required for the future.
Hope these tips help you in being your best productive self! Let me know your thoughts in the comments below 🙂
As promised, I’m also linking below the army green bomber jacket featured in my photos:
Source: Garage clothing- while the item is no longer available from Garage clothing, I’ve linked a source where you can purchase the exact item available on Poshmark- click here. I’ve also posted below some similar items which are on sale now:
I’m diving right into this post by saying how much I’m gushing over this whisper rose (or rose gold as I call it) dress! It was the perfect piece for my company holiday party (this is the third time that I’ve worn this dress for 2018) and I received tons of compliments on it, so I thought that I’d share it with you all! While this dress is a year old, I found a similar one from the place where I bought the dress featured below. I’m about to spill the store where I shop for my wedding guest dress and it’s been my best kept secret for a while, but I thought since it’s the holidays, why not share it with you girls! 🙂
So here it is- Ever New Melbourne (the Australian store is called Forever New) is one of my FAVOURITE stores, and there’s only one store in the gem of the city of Toronto (the only store is Ontario at the moment!). You can find this store at the Eaton Centre shopping mall, and it features such exquisite, high quality affordable clothing. If any of you are familiar with it, do let me know your thoughts! You’ll find gorgeous staples- from classy coats to stylish accessories to elegant gowns and cocktail dresses- do be sure to check out this store for your next holiday party! You’ll be thanking me after your visit!
Ok, back to the dress- the style is so sophisticated, and the colour is absoltely perfect for a holiday party or even at wedding! My dress size is AUS 6; EUR 34; US 2 for reference (the tag displays all three sizing information which is so helpful to those of us not familiar with Euro or Aus sizes!).
Let me know what you all think of this lovely dress and wishing you all a wonderful weekend ahead- for those of you in Toronto, be sure to check out this store at the Eaton Centre while you’re doing your holiday shopping- and it’s now 55% off!
Btw- for you folks wondering about my handsome date’s suit- he shops for all stylish, fitted suits at Top Man, so send your hubby there for his next formal event shopping!